Gretton Past and Present
Mrs Weldon's Shop
Mrs Weldon's Shop in Station Road, in 1922
Pictured are Eva Weldon, Kate Bush and Emily Leighton
Mrs Weldon sold everything and remained open late. The rear part of the shop was full of all kinds and colours of knitting wools. After 1931 she moved to the present Gretton Stores, and later to the shop opposite the Co-op where she remained during the Second World War.
The building still exists at the top of Station Road next to the Old Vicarage, though it is impossible to see where the door and windows were in 1922.
After Mrs Weldon vacated the premises they were taken over by the harness maker, Tansley Huffer. He eventually moved out before the Second World War and built a wooden shed at the end of his garden in Hardwick Road.
The former shop building, in 1999
Gretton - A Northamptonshire Village