This imposing viaduct, located in the north of Northamptonshire, at the north-west corner of the village of Harringworth, spans the Welland Valley, and has a total length of three quarters of a mile.
It was completed in 1878 to carry the London and Midland Railway between Kettering and Manton. Over 2000 men were employed during the construction, and were housed with their families in huts, in a temporary settlement, named Cyprus.
The viaduct has 82 arches, each with a 40ft. (14 metres) span, and over 20 million bricks were used in its construction.
It remains in use today, and although the structure dominates the valley, it creates the impression of being in tune with its surroundings.
Though primarily used for goods traffic, passenger services occcasionally use the viaduct at week-ends, while maintenance work is carried out on the main London to Leicester line.
Take the A6003 Kettering to Uppingham road, and immediately upon leaving the village of Rockingham turn right, through Gretton, and on to Harringworth.