Some years ago the roads entering the village were lined with lime trees. Ash and oak now take their place, although there are a few splendid limes still in the centre of the village.
This is a tiny village with approximately 38 houses. Cottages which were once occupied by farm and estate workers are now holiday or 'short-let' homes. Most of the village remains in the hands of the Conant family. Sir John Conant lives in Lyndon Hall, a grand William and Mary house set in beautiful grounds.
The church is a mere stone's throwaway and dates back to the 13th century. Like the village it is small but beautiful, with a seating capacity of about 60. Not many of these seats are filled at regular services but Christmas is the exception. There is also a village hall, which was built in 1922. Like the church it was better attended some 30 years ago. A whist drive is held most Friday nights, but it is seldom used for a village 'get- together'. At one time it was open most evenings for the pleasures of darts, billiards and dances.
Lyndon must have been quite a busy village years ago.. Evidently there were five tenant farmers. Most of the surrounding fields were down to grass for cattle grazing, with neatly cut hedges to separate them. Now the hedges have gone, and there are extensive fields of corn and rape, all maintained by one farmer.
Thomas Barker, who was born at Lyndon Hall in 1722, was a pioneer in scientific weather observation. His journals recorded weather and other interesting topics, bee keeping and agriculture.
(The above extract from 'The Leicestershire & Rutland Village Book', compiled by the Leicestershire & Rutland Federation of Women's Institutes, is reproduced by kind permission of the publishers, Countryside Books, Newbury, Berkshire)