Richard Lane of the University of Leicester has provided the following transcription of Kelly's 1890 Trade Directory for King's Cliffe.
KING'S CLIFFE (anciently called CLIVE) is a parish and polling place for the Northern Division of the county, 88 miles from London and 8 north-west from Oundle, with a station on the Peterborough and Market Harborough section of the London and North Western Railway, in the hundred of Willybrook, Oundle petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Oundle (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. Cliffe was formerly the chief town of the East Bailiwick of Rockingham Forest. The Willow Brook, which expands into a beautiful lake of 5 acres at the bottom of the rectory grounds, is a tributary of the Nene. The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, consisting of chancel clerestoriel nave, aisles, transepts, north and south porches and an embattled central tower containing 5 bells; the interior is seated with open oak benches, many of the ends of which, as well as the pulpit, constructed under the direction of the late Archdeacon Bonney, from ancient woodwork, were brought were brought from Fotheringhay; the church was restored in 1863, under the direction of Mr. Edward Browning, architect, of Stamford; in 1865 an organ was erected. The register dates from the year 1590. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £400, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Westmorland C. B. and held since 1863 by the Rev. Edward Da Pre B. A. of Queens College Cambridge. Here are Congregational and Wesleyan Chapels. A fair is held on October 29th. Charities - John Thorpe esq. in 1668, left three houses in Park Street for poor women, to the inhabitants of those houses Mrs. Hester Gibbon, in 1790, bequeathed £300 to be vested in Government Securities; and Mrs. Anne de Rippe, in 1806, left the interest of £100 for the same purpose; the total stock £400, produces £14 14s yearly; Richard Wildbore left, October 19 1633, a rent-charge of £5 a year for the education of eight poor boys of this place, now taught in the National School. Mrs. Bonney, wife of the Ven. H. K. Bonney, some time rector of King's Cliffe and archdeacon of Lincoln, left by will in 1844, £490 for the benefit of the Sunday School and Clothing Club; the sum, in accordance with her will, was invested by her husband and now produces annually about £13, which is equally divided between the Clothing Club and the Sunday School; The Rev. John Law of Elvetham, Hants., bequeathed in 1865 £700 in trust to his executors to be invested in the names of "Official Trustees of Charitable Funds," which produced £674 9s 9d net; the interest of this sum, viz. £90 4s 8d is distributed on St. Thomas's Day annually by the minister and church wardens to the most needy and deserving poor; Miss Louisa Perry, under her will dated December 19, 1808, bequeathed the sum of £600 to her trustees to be invested by them at their discretion for the benefit of the National School and of the Sunday School of King's Cliffe; Law and Hutchinson's charity consists in part of certain freehold lands at Northorp, Lincolnshire and Aslockton, Notts. with lands at other places, amounting in all to 49 acres and 12 perches, with a masters house and school, left in 1745 by Elizabeth, widow of Archibald Hutchinson esq. for the education and clothing of 18 (subsequently 22) poor boys; the maintenance of four almshouses for as many aged widows or maidens never having received parish relief, and whose private income should not exceed £5 a year, and for apprenticing; the remaining portion of the charity consists of freehold land at Northorp aforementioned, and a school with mistresses house, for the clothing and education of 14 (subsequently 22) poor girls, together with two almshouses for widows or maidens as in Hutchinson's charity, left in 1727 by the Rev. W. Law M. A.. Under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, August 1878, and entire change was made in the administration of this charity; the clothing of the 44 children being discontinued, and a sum of over £ 40 yearly appropriated for scholarships and exhibitions. The income of the charity, now between £600 and £700 yearly, is expended in accordance with the new scheme, save and except the yearly maintenance of eight poor widows or maidens, each of whom has 7s per week and house and 40s yearly for fuel. The local Liberal Association has a reading room here, established in 1878, and supplied with the daily and other papers; it has now 35 members. A Palace, occupied by King John when hunting in Rockingham Forest, once stood on the south side of the churchyard, adjoining a place called " The Hall Yard". In this parish is a chalybeate spring similar to that of Tunbridge Wells. Woodturning and carving and the manufacture of Butter Prints is extensively carried out in this parish. The Marques of Exeter F. C. who is Lord of the Manor, and the Rector, the Earl of Westmorland C. B., T. J. Law esq., J. G. Howes esq. and J E. Macfarlin esq. are the principle landowners. The soil is very heavy; subsoil, gravel and rock. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, beans and peas. The area is 3,650 acres; rateable value £4,473; The population in 1881 was 1,278
WEST HAY, 1 mile north, formerly extra-parochial, was in 1869 annexed to King's Cliffe
Parish Clerk, Gamble Dixon
Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, John Thomas Bailey, receiver. Letters arrive by mail cart from Wansford at 6 a.m. & 3 p.m.; despatched at 6.30 p.m. Money Order office from 9 to 6 daily. Telegraph Office is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. & on Sundays from 8 to 10 a.m. only.
Insurance Agent - Northern, Lucas Wade.
Police Station, School Hill, Sergeant Friar, resident sergeant.
Volunteer Fire Brigade, comprising Superintendent & 20 men; John Wragby, Supt.; engine house, Hall Yard.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; W. Richardson, Oundle, clerk to the Board; John Lucas Blake, attendence & inquiry officer.
Law & Hutchinson's School (mixed), Park Street, built in 1873 for 100 boys, 100 girls & 60 infants; average attendence 80 boys, 75 girls & 60 infants; William Brookes Headmaster; Mrs. Elizabeth Brookes, mistress; The schools are supported by the endowments above mentioned & otherwise by Government grant & fees.
Railway Station, John Humphries, Station Master.
CARRIER TO STAMFORD. - John Roberts, Tuesday & Friday, returning same day.
Adams, William, West Street.
Brickworth, George, West Street.
Brown, Richard, West Street.
Barwell, Mrs. West Street.
Cunnington, Mrs. West Street.
Dain, Frederick Robert, West Street.
Dennis, Mrs, Park Villa.
Dixon, Henry, Stamford Road.
Dixon, Mrs. West Street.
Du Pre, Rev. Edward M. A. [Rector], West Street
Foster, Mrs. Park Street.
Gist, Henry Westonra, West Street.
Henson, Mrs. West Street.
Howse, John Groom, West Street.
Jones, Mrs. West Street.
Law, Miss, West Street.
Pink, Thomas, Park Street.
Raise, John, West Street.
Raven, William, West Street.
Royce, Richard, Park Street.
Selby, Thomas Charles, West Street.
Stanyon, Charles, West Street.
Stokes, Charles, West Street.
Thompson, Thomas, West Street.
Bailey John James. Assistant. Overseer, West Street.
Bailey & Son, turners & beer retailers; crests & monograms carved on wood for making butter, West Street.
Bailey, John Thomas, grocer & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine and spirit merchants, West Street.
Bailey, Matthew, butcher, West Street.
Bailey, Thomas H. photographer, West Street.
Blake, John Lucas, harness Manufacturer, Park Street.
Bollans, Wm. wood turner & carver, West Street.
Bonfield, Robert, grocer & draper, West Street.
Brown, Richard, butcher, West Street.
Brown, William, baker, West Street.
Burrows, William Eyres, tailor & shopkeeper, West Street.
Catlin, Charles, Windmill Inn, West Street.
Chapman, John, market gardener, The Butts.
Clarke, William Stafford, watch maker, West Street.
Close, John, shoemaker, West Street.
Coleman, William, ironmonger & plumber, Bridge Street.
Coles, George, woodcutter, Bridge Street.
Cox, Wm. Jn. insurance agent, West Street.
Dainty, William, farmer, West Hay.
Davison, Henry, tailor, West Street.
Dixon & Co. wood turners, the best house for wholesale buyers, Park Street.
Dain, Frederick Robert, surgeon, Medical Officer & public Vaccinator, King's Cliffe District, Oundle Union, Surgeon to the Wansford & Seaton Branch, & certifying factory surgeon, West Street.
Dixon, Elijah, general dealer & turner, West Street.
Dixon, George, beer retailer, West Street.
Dixon, Harvey, shopkeeper & deputy registrar of marriages for King's Cliffe district, Oundle Union, park Street.
Dixon, Levi, wood turner & carver, Park Street.
Dixon, Reuben, Golden Hall P. H. Bridge Street.
Dixon, Reuben, jun. builder, Bridge Street.
Edgson, Edward, shopkeeper & tailor, Park Street.
Elderkill, James, shoemaker, Spout Hall.
Endall, Alfred, Vetinary Surgeon, Park Street.
Fane, William Henry, Cross Keys commercial hotel & posting house, & family brewer, West Street.
Gas Works, (George close, Manager).
Green, Frederick, carpenter, Park Street.
Green, Hannah (Mrs.) shopkeeper, West Street.
Green, Ventross, toy dealer & turner, West Street.
Guttridge, John, gamekeeper.
Hand, Mary (Mrs.) shopkeeper, Bridge Street.
Harlock, John, shoemaker, West Street.
Hawkes, Edward, plumber & glazier, Park Street.
Housier, Mathias, watchmaker, West Street.
Jarvis, Henry, grocer & draper, Park Street.
Kingston, James, baker, West Street.
Kingston, William, carter.
Lattimore, William, blacksmith, West Street.
Law, Thomas James, farmer, Hall Yard.
Liberal Association, (Ventross Green Hon. Sec.), West Street.
Little, Robert, boot & shoemaker, Park Street.
Mays, Thomas, toy dealer, West Street.
Miles, George, timber merchant, Park Street.
Miles, Thomas, farmer, Park Street
Nicholls, Henry, shoemaker, West Street.
Northampton Brewery Co, Ltd. (Elijah Dixon, agent), West Street.
Palmer, George, wheelwright, West Street.
Palmer, James, carpenter, West Street.
Palmer, Mary (Mrs.) laundress, West Street.
Phillips, Robert, shoemaker, Park Street.
Rate, William & George, farmers, West Street.
Rate, Frederick, coal dealer & farmer, Park Street.
Richardson, Tom Fryer, Red Lion P. H., Park Street.
Roberts, John, carrier, West Street.
Saddington, George, blacksmith, West Street.
Sharpe, Chas. Wheat Sheaf P. H. Park Street.
Sharpe, Wm. plasterer & tiler, West Street.
Siddons & Sons, coal merchants, Railway Station.
Skinner, John Morris, baker, West Street.
Stokes & Son, carriage manufacturers, wagon, cart and van builders. Many first prizes & prize medals awarded for excellence of workmanship & materials; contractor to the principle vehicle users in the Kingdom & for Government vehicles; catalogue free; Park Street Steam Carriage & Van Works, King's Cliffe; head office & show rooms at Peterborough.
Skinner, Richard, mason, Park Street.
Slingsby, Joseph, maltster, miller (wind) & baker, Park Street & West Street.
Smith, Charlotte (Mrs.) carter, West Street.
Spademan, Sydney, baker & miller (wind), Church Street.
Stanyon, Charles, registrar of marriages for King's Cliffe district, Oundle Union.
Wade ^ Son, bakers & farmers, Park Street.
Wade, Lucas, farmer, Park Street.
Walker, Thomas, butcher, Park Street.
Walker, William, farmer, West Street.
Weatherington, George, Maltster's Arms P. H. West Street.
Wootton, Henry, The Wheel P. H. West Street.
Wootton, William, machine owner, West Street.
Wragby, John, beer retailer, West Street.
Wright, Francis, farm bailiff to the Maquis of Exeter P. C. West Hay Cottage.