Richard Lane of the University of Leicester has provided the following transcription of Kelly's 1890 Trade Directory for Braybrooke.
BRAYBROOKE is a parish and village, 3 miles south-east from Market Harborough, 9 north-west from Kettering and 3 west from Desborough Station on the main line of the Midland Railway, in the Mid Division of the County, petty Sessional division of Little Bowden, hundred of Rothwell, union and county court district of Market Harborough, rural deanery of Rothwell (second portion), archdeaconry of Northamptonshire and diocese of Peterborough. The place gives the title of baron to the Neville family of Audley End. The church of All Saints, erected about A. D. 1200, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, eastern chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 4 bells; the tenor, which is the oldest, bears the inscription "Sit Domini Benedictum"; the others are dated respectively 1620, 1725 and 1806; the chancel retains a piscine, and has a stone reredos, embattled, and a fine chair of black oak, richly carved, the eastern chapel, a work of the 15th century contains the recumbent effigy, carved in oak of a crusader, and has been assigned to John le Latymer, ob 1283; there is also here a monument of the Elizabethan Period to one of the Griffen family, and above it, on an iron stanchion, is fixed a funeral helmet; in the south wall is an aumbry, and a screen of oak includes the chapel at the west end; some fragments of stained glass remain in the windows, and in the chapel is preserved a "vamp horn" (Fr. avant) one of the few now remaining in England; in the north Aisle is a staircase with oak door, formerly leading to the roof loft; at the east end of the aisle is a piscine; the ancient stone font has a square basin, the sides of which are decorated with carvings of a rude cross, a mermaid eating a fish, intertwined snakes, and geometrical figures; on the wall of the south aisle are traces of a fresco, in the chancel are mural monuments to the Rev. Robert Chapman, 1759, his wife, 1738, Lydia Hawes, 1691, and to Mary Valens, 1571, on the floor are inscribed gravestones to John Stunn, 1709; John Cooper, 1714; Thomas Jones, 1694 and his daughter, 1716; Mary Young, 1803; Rev. R. Young D. D. 1838; Elizabeth, daughter of Brice Shuter, 1710; Samuel Coles senior of Braybrooke, 1584; Robert Brice Shuter, 1734, and Judith his wife, daughter of John Allicocks of Loddington, and to Jonathan Nethercoat, 1795; the old parish chest contains several ancient books in black letter; this church is one in a series in the Forest of Arden erected by order of King John, and is probably built on the site of an older one; it is now in an almost ruinous condition owing mostly to neglect partly to lapse of time, and also to damage done by lightning; but the chief cause is the failure and settlement of the foundations to such an extent as to endanger the superstructure; an effort is now (1890) being made for the complete restoration of the church at an estimated cost of £2,000 under the direction of Mr. John E. Trollope, architect. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1653; marriages, 1695. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £33, gross yearly value £500, including 303 acres of glebe, with residence in the gift of Thomas Hakewill esq., and held since 1882 by the Rev. James Ridgeway Hakewill M. A., S. M. of Exeter College, Oxford. The Rectors of Braybrooke having fought the question of tithes as to a particular estate in the parish from the time of Ed. III to 1820, have left to their successors many interesting documents and copies of documents bearing on the history of Braybrooke Castle and parish, as well as the opinions of eminent lawyers on the said tithe question. Here is a small Baptist Chapel. The charity of Corniers and Others, and Field's Charity, founded by dead in 1864, provide together about £28 yearly for educational purposes. The principle landowners are Lord Wantage V. C., K. C. B.; Edward Charles Rudge esq. of Abbey Manor, Evesham; Jonathan Chater esq. who is lord of the manor, and the rector. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The soil is clay; the land is arable and pasture. The area is 3,060 acres; rateable value, £9,695; the population in 1881 was 360.
Sexton, Joseph Simpkin
POST OFFICE - Charles Underwood. Letters through Market Harborough arrive at 7 a.m. & 4,30 p.m.; dispatched 4.35 p.m. Desborough is the nearest money order office, and Desborough Station is the nearest telegraph office.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; G. Burgoine, Market Harborough, clerk to the Board; Alfred Tailby, Braybrooke, Attendence and Enquiry Officer
Board School (formerly National), built in 1835 for 60 children; average attendence, 28
CARRIER TO MARKET HARBOROUGH - Samuel Bates, Tuesday.
Hakewill, Rev. James Ridgeway M. A., S. M.
Atkins, William, wheelwright & grazier
Bindley, William, shopkeeper & grazier
Cartwright, William, grazier Cowley, William, farmer & grazier
Croft, William, shoe maker
Everett, Thomas, grazier & butcher
Goodman, Thomas, shopkeeper
Harding, Joseph, grazier
Kendall, Sarah Ann (Mrs.) Sun P. H.
Kendall, Alice (Miss), landowner & grazier
Kilborn, Edwin, grazier
Leake, John Grazier Newton, William, grazier
Palmer, George, grazier
Phillips, William, butcher & grazier
Ringrose, George, grazier
Smith, Berry, grazier
Tebbitt, John, Swan P. H.
Underwood, Elizabeth (Mrs.) farmer & grazier
Underwood, Thomas Jonathan, baker.