GENUKI Home Page Northamptonshire Northamptonshire Contents Contents

 

 

Braunston

Directories

Richard Lane of the University of Leicester has provided the following transcription of Kelly's 1890 Trade Directory for Braunston.

Kelly's 1890 Trade Directory

BRAUNSTON is a village and parish, situated on rising ground, at the foot of which is the Grand Junction Canal which joins the Oxford Canal within the limits of the parish, 3 miles north-west from Daventry, 11 south-east from Rugby and 4 south-west from Welton Station on the main line of the London and North Western Railway; the parish is in the southern division of the County, hundred of Fawsley, petty Sessional division, union and County Court District of Daventry, archdeaconry of Northampton and diocese of Peterborough. A small brook divides the County from Warwickshire. The church of All Saints (rebuilt in 1847 at a cost of 6,000) is an edifice of pink sandstone from the quarries near Kenilworth in the geometrical Early English Style, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with crocketed spire and pinnacles containing a clock and six bells; the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. A. B. Clough M. D. for 32 years rector here, d. 1870; and there are others to Jemima Florence (1857), and Frances Katherine (1863, daughters of the above; to Roberts Marriott, Susannah his wife, their children and grandchildren, erected by James Powell Marriott, Aug. 9th, 1849; to the Mother and three sisters of George Allen and William Brooks Butling esqrs, dated 1860; to Richard Howson Lamb esq. of Brayborough hall, and Frances his Wife, erected by their daughters July, 1882; to Nathaniel Jenkins, d. Feb. 1st, 1866, and Harriet his wife, d. July 8th, 1882, erected by their three children, Aug. 1883; in the chapel is a monument with the recumbent effigy of a knight in chain mail with crossed legs and bearing a shield and sword, said to represent some early member of the Rose Family; the church was re-seated in 1880, towards which Capt. Garratt contributed 500; and the chancel was restored in 1874 under the superintendence of Mr. W. Butterfield, architect, of London; the pulpit is of Devonshire marble and alabaster; the font is also of rich Devonshire and Derbyshire marble; on either side of the east window are paintings on tiles of SS Peter and Paul; there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge 252, gross yearly value about 690, including 416 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford, and held since 1870 by the Rev. Lewis Gilbertson B. D. late fellow and vice-principle of that college. There is a Wesleyan Chapel with 250 sittings, and a Baptist Chapel, built in 1796 to seat 300 persons. Here are wharves; boat building is carried on to some extent and bricks are made. The Town Land Charity, now of the annual value of about 158, is appropriated to the repair of the roads and the church and to charitable purposes. The Poor's allotment of 11A (acres) 2R (rods) 36P (perches) of land situated at Ashby St. Ledgers producing about 30, is expended in coals, which are distributed on St. Thomas's Day to the poor of the parish. The church allotment of about 6 acres, yielding 17 a year, is for church purposes. There is a parish library of 500 volumes attached to the coffee tavern. Bragborough Hall, the seat of Capt. George William Hutton Riddle, is a modern building in the Italian Style, standing on an eminence a mile from the village and commanding extensive and picturesque views of Leicestershire, who is Lord of the Manor. F. Hazeldine esq. William F. Rose esq. and the Rector are the principle landowners. The soil is light loam; subsoil, gravel and clay. The crops are wheat and beans. The area is 3,930 acres, about two thirds of which is pasture land; rateable value, 6,902; the population in 1881 was 1,072, many of the inhabitants are canal boatmen, a large proportion of whom, living almost entirely on their boats, are frequently absent from the parish.

LITTLE BRAUNSTON is a hamlet that forms a part of the parish.

Parish Clerk, William Rowledge.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Miss Jane Pebody, postmistress. Letters through Rugby, arriving about 5.20 a.m.; dispatched at 7.55 p.m. Box closes 5 minutes earlier.

Police Station, Edward Chapman, constable.

National School, built in 1733 for 180 children; average attendence, 150, & supported in part by an endowment of 31 a year arising from 14A, 2R, 13P, of land; Edward Hewson Smith, master; Miss Annie Haddon, mistress; Miss M. A. Apted, infants mistress.

CARRIERS:-

Henry Luck, to Daventry, wed. & sat.; To Rugby, on mon.; returning same day.

Ezekiel Hakesley, to Daventry, wed. & sat.; returning same days.

BRAUNSTON

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Adamthwaite, Charles, Westfield House

Allestre, Miss

Baring Hon. John, Braunston House.

Bedson Rev. Alfred M. A. [Curate]

Bennett, Charles

Bland William

Bowers Henry.

Bowers William

Bucknill Mrs., Ivy House

Butlin, George Allan, Westfield Cottage

Dean, Mrs.

Dunn, Thomas Masters.

Gilbertson, Rev. Lewis M. D. Rectory

Lowndes, Lieut-Col. John Henry J. P., Eastfield House

Oakley, Richard.

Riddell, Capt. George William Hutton, Bragborough Hall

Wratishaw Mrs.

 

COMMERCIAL

Atkins, Emma (Mrs.) shopkeeper

Baylis, William, grazier & landowner

Bennett, Charles, surgeon

Berry, Richard Wm., grazier, White Ho.

Bilson, William, shoe maker

Boswell, Daniel, coal merchant

Boswell. Phillip, brick maker

Boswell, Phillip, Wheatsheaf P. H.

Bomore, William Francis, baker & grocer

Boyes, William, Champion Inn

Brightman, Thomas Benj., bricklayer Bradshaw, James Edward, wheelwright & builder

Brown, James, shoe maker, The Wharf

Capell, William, plumber

Cattell, Frances (Miss), grocer & draper

Charlton, Edwin, Dog & Gun P. H.

Clarke, William, shoe maker

Cope, Thomas Edward, canal agent, Oxford Canal Office

Cowley, William, blacksmith

Dunn, William, dog trainer

Ellard, Edwin, grazier & landowner

Evatt, Matthew, boat builder

Hakesley, Ezekiel, horse letter and carrier

Hall, Edwin, farmer,

Hall, George, Harrow P. H.

Hall, Thomas, Old Ship P. H.

Hancock, John, butcher & farmer

Hancock, William, Farmer, lodge farm

Hewitt, John, Castle Inn

Hewitt, Thomas, blacksmith

Hewitt, Thomas, draper

Hollis, John, baker

Hollowell, George, bricklayer

Hopkins, George, butcher

Jackson, Dympsey, coal dir., The Wharf

Jackson, William, coal merchant

Johnson, Samuel, farmer, Braunston Ldg.

Jones, Robert, shoe maker

Knight, Alfred, coal merchant

Linnell, Annie (Miss), dress maker

Lucas, William, rope & twine maker

Luck, Henry, carrier

Manning, John Webb, farmer, Berry Fields Mawby, James, shoe maker

Nurser, William, boat builder

Pebody, John, grocer

Radbone, Edward, grocer

Randall, Charles, tailor

Reeve, John, farmer & landowner

Redhouse, Thomas, carpenter

Rowledge, William, parish clerk

Rushall, Benjamin, saddler

Smallwood, William, shoe maker

Smith, Emmanuel, boat owner

Smith, Joseph, shopkeeper

Steanes, William Jun, blacksmith

Swain, Mary (Mrs.), lodgings

Timms Richard Haywood, farmer, Manor House

Tiptaft, Thomas Crowden, chemist & grocer

Turner, Joseph, sawyer

Waldin, Richard, draper,

Watson, Wm. Drury, farmer & grazier

Wentworth, William, Plough P. H.

West Charles, farmer, Bragborough Farm

West, James, Coffee Tavern

West, John, grazier and landowner

White, Charles, tailor & shopkeeper, Braunston Stop

Wills, William Cross, painter

 

LITTLE BRAUNSTON

Boswell, Wm., Anchor P. H. & farmer

Harrison, Henry, farmer

Mason, Samuel, Nelson Inn & farmer & coal merchant

Smith, George, farmer

Spraggett, William, shoe ma maker & shopkeeper

 


Return to top of page
(Updated 30 July 2003 - Maurice Kellner)