Richard Lane of the University of Leicester has provided the following transcription of Kelly's 1890 Trade Directory for Braunston.
BRAUNSTON is a village and parish, situated on rising ground, at the foot of which is the Grand Junction Canal which joins the Oxford Canal within the limits of the parish, 3 miles north-west from Daventry, 11 south-east from Rugby and 4 south-west from Welton Station on the main line of the London and North Western Railway; the parish is in the southern division of the County, hundred of Fawsley, petty Sessional division, union and County Court District of Daventry, archdeaconry of Northampton and diocese of Peterborough. A small brook divides the County from Warwickshire. The church of All Saints (rebuilt in 1847 at a cost of £6,000) is an edifice of pink sandstone from the quarries near Kenilworth in the geometrical Early English Style, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with crocketed spire and pinnacles containing a clock and six bells; the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. A. B. Clough M. D. for 32 years rector here, d. 1870; and there are others to Jemima Florence (1857), and Frances Katherine (1863, daughters of the above; to Roberts Marriott, Susannah his wife, their children and grandchildren, erected by James Powell Marriott, Aug. 9th, 1849; to the Mother and three sisters of George Allen and William Brooks Butling esqrs, dated 1860; to Richard Howson Lamb esq. of Brayborough hall, and Frances his Wife, erected by their daughters July, 1882; to Nathaniel Jenkins, d. Feb. 1st, 1866, and Harriet his wife, d. July 8th, 1882, erected by their three children, Aug. 1883; in the chapel is a monument with the recumbent effigy of a knight in chain mail with crossed legs and bearing a shield and sword, said to represent some early member of the Rose Family; the church was re-seated in 1880, towards which Capt. Garratt contributed £500; and the chancel was restored in 1874 under the superintendence of Mr. W. Butterfield, architect, of London; the pulpit is of Devonshire marble and alabaster; the font is also of rich Devonshire and Derbyshire marble; on either side of the east window are paintings on tiles of SS Peter and Paul; there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £252, gross yearly value about £690, including 416 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford, and held since 1870 by the Rev. Lewis Gilbertson B. D. late fellow and vice-principle of that college. There is a Wesleyan Chapel with 250 sittings, and a Baptist Chapel, built in 1796 to seat 300 persons. Here are wharves; boat building is carried on to some extent and bricks are made. The Town Land Charity, now of the annual value of about £158, is appropriated to the repair of the roads and the church and to charitable purposes. The Poor's allotment of 11A (acres) 2R (rods) 36P (perches) of land situated at Ashby St. Ledgers producing about £30, is expended in coals, which are distributed on St. Thomas's Day to the poor of the parish. The church allotment of about 6 acres, yielding £17 a year, is for church purposes. There is a parish library of 500 volumes attached to the coffee tavern. Bragborough Hall, the seat of Capt. George William Hutton Riddle, is a modern building in the Italian Style, standing on an eminence a mile from the village and commanding extensive and picturesque views of Leicestershire, who is Lord of the Manor. F. Hazeldine esq. William F. Rose esq. and the Rector are the principle landowners. The soil is light loam; subsoil, gravel and clay. The crops are wheat and beans. The area is 3,930 acres, about two thirds of which is pasture land; rateable value, £6,902; the population in 1881 was 1,072, many of the inhabitants are canal boatmen, a large proportion of whom, living almost entirely on their boats, are frequently absent from the parish.
LITTLE BRAUNSTON is a hamlet that forms a part of the parish.
Parish Clerk, William Rowledge.
POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Miss Jane Pebody, postmistress. Letters through Rugby, arriving about 5.20 a.m.; dispatched at 7.55 p.m. Box closes 5 minutes earlier.
Police Station, Edward Chapman, constable.
National School, built in 1733 for 180 children; average attendence, 150, & supported in part by an endowment of £31 a year arising from 14A, 2R, 13P, of land; Edward Hewson Smith, master; Miss Annie Haddon, mistress; Miss M. A. Apted, infants mistress.
Henry Luck, to Daventry, wed. & sat.; To Rugby, on mon.; returning same day.
Ezekiel Hakesley, to Daventry, wed. & sat.; returning same days.
Adamthwaite, Charles, Westfield House
Baring Hon. John, Braunston House.
Bedson Rev. Alfred M. A. [Curate]
Bucknill Mrs., Ivy House
Butlin, George Allan, Westfield Cottage
Dunn, Thomas Masters.
Gilbertson, Rev. Lewis M. D. Rectory
Lowndes, Lieut-Col. John Henry J. P., Eastfield House
Riddell, Capt. George William Hutton, Bragborough Hall
Atkins, Emma (Mrs.) shopkeeper
Baylis, William, grazier & landowner
Bennett, Charles, surgeon
Berry, Richard Wm., grazier, White Ho.
Bilson, William, shoe maker
Boswell, Daniel, coal merchant
Boswell. Phillip, brick maker
Boswell, Phillip, Wheatsheaf P. H.
Bomore, William Francis, baker & grocer
Boyes, William, Champion Inn
Brightman, Thomas Benj., bricklayer Bradshaw, James Edward, wheelwright & builder
Brown, James, shoe maker, The Wharf
Capell, William, plumber
Cattell, Frances (Miss), grocer & draper
Charlton, Edwin, Dog & Gun P. H.
Clarke, William, shoe maker
Cope, Thomas Edward, canal agent, Oxford Canal Office
Cowley, William, blacksmith
Dunn, William, dog trainer
Ellard, Edwin, grazier & landowner
Evatt, Matthew, boat builder
Hakesley, Ezekiel, horse letter and carrier
Hall, Edwin, farmer,
Hall, George, Harrow P. H.
Hall, Thomas, Old Ship P. H.
Hancock, John, butcher & farmer
Hancock, William, Farmer, lodge farm
Hewitt, John, Castle Inn
Hewitt, Thomas, blacksmith
Hewitt, Thomas, draper
Hollis, John, baker
Hollowell, George, bricklayer
Hopkins, George, butcher
Jackson, Dympsey, coal dir., The Wharf
Jackson, William, coal merchant
Johnson, Samuel, farmer, Braunston Ldg.
Jones, Robert, shoe maker
Knight, Alfred, coal merchant
Linnell, Annie (Miss), dress maker
Lucas, William, rope & twine maker
Luck, Henry, carrier
Manning, John Webb, farmer, Berry Fields Mawby, James, shoe maker
Nurser, William, boat builder
Pebody, John, grocer
Radbone, Edward, grocer
Randall, Charles, tailor
Reeve, John, farmer & landowner
Redhouse, Thomas, carpenter
Rowledge, William, parish clerk
Rushall, Benjamin, saddler
Smallwood, William, shoe maker
Smith, Emmanuel, boat owner
Smith, Joseph, shopkeeper
Steanes, William Jun, blacksmith
Swain, Mary (Mrs.), lodgings
Timms Richard Haywood, farmer, Manor House
Tiptaft, Thomas Crowden, chemist & grocer
Turner, Joseph, sawyer
Waldin, Richard, draper,
Watson, Wm. Drury, farmer & grazier
Wentworth, William, Plough P. H.
West Charles, farmer, Bragborough Farm
West, James, Coffee Tavern
West, John, grazier and landowner
White, Charles, tailor & shopkeeper, Braunston Stop
Wills, William Cross, painter
Boswell, Wm., Anchor P. H. & farmer
Harrison, Henry, farmer
Mason, Samuel, Nelson Inn & farmer & coal merchant
Smith, George, farmer
Spraggett, William, shoe ma maker & shopkeeper